Roll-on/Roll-off Services

Ro/Ro service is typically the most affordable method for transporting cars, motorcycles, trucks, boats, construction machinery, construction equipment, ATV’s, RV’s jet skis, campers, trailers or just about any cargo which can be driven or towed inside a vessel.

The simplest description of a Ro/Ro vessel would be a floating parking lot. Ro/Ro vessels have ramps which open to allow the cargo to be driven or towed into the vessel. Each vessel has approximately five cargo decks which can be raised or lowered depending on the nature of the cargo being shipped. The cargo is driven or towed into the vessel at the port of loading, secured to the deck of the ship and then simply driven or towed out of the vessel at the port of destination. All cargo decks offer protection from the elements of the ocean. Please understand however that all vehicles and other cargo which are shipped using Ro Ro Service are stored in an outside terminal prior to being loaded into the vessel as well as after being unloaded from the vessel, at the port of destination.

How much does this service cost?

The cost for a Ro/Ro shipment is based mainly on the size of the cargo being shipped and the origin and destination of the cargo. In order for us to be able to provide you with the cost of shipping a standard sized automobile, we will need you to advise the year, make & model of the car you are interested in shipping.

If you are shipping a vintage automobile or customized vehicle such as a limousine, armored vehicle, towable trailer, RV, camper, truck, bulldozers or excavator we will need you to provide us with the overall dimensions of the vehicle – length, width & height as well as the weight.

The dimensions you provide for your cargo should be as accurate as possible to assure an accurate shipping quote. Once your cargo is received at the port of loading it will be measured by the terminal personnel. Any change in dimensions will result in a change in the appropriate shipping costs.

What do I need to know about using this service?

When shipping aboard a Ro/Ro vessel, the cargo must be drivable, towable or able to be lifted by forklift or crane. Large boats and construction equipment are often placed by a fork lift or crane onto the s/s line’s mafi trailer which is then towed inside the vessel.

If you are shipping an automobile, ATV, RV, camper or construction machinery such as a bull dozer or excavator the vehicle must be self-propelled and have properly functioning steering and brakes. The vehicle must be relatively clean with no hanging parts or leaking fluids, deployed air bags or broken glass. Any cargo on trailers such as jet skis must be properly secured to the trailer and the trailer must be towable.

Vehicles which are shipped inside a Ro/Ro vessel must be completely empty other than the factory equipment which came with the vehicle such as floor mats, a spare tire, jack and lug wrench. If you are shipping a motorcycle, you must remove any storage pouches or other loose items.

If you are shipping construction equipment such as a dump truck, bull dozer or excavator, the additional parts such as the blades, weights, etc. often need to be removed and shipped aboard the Ro/Ro vessel as “static cargo”.

All drivable cargo must contain less than 1/ 4 tank of fuel and any propane tanks in motorhomes must be completely drained. The keys for the vehicle must remain with the vehicle.

What documents do I need to use Ro/Ro service?

To ship any vehicle which is drivable on the road the original Certificate of title or Certificate of origin is needed so the vehicle can be cleared for export thru U.S. Customs & Border Protection. If you have a lien on the vehicle, an original, notarized letter from the lienholder will be required by U.S. Customs, authorizing you to ship the vehicle overseas.

When shipping boats, construction equipment, towable cargo or cargo which would not necessarily have a title, the bill of sale will be needed confirming the vehicle identification number of the cargo being shipped.

What else do I need to know about shipping aboard a Ro/Ro vessel?

Your Ro/Ro shipment can begin at the point of origin of the cargo or at the port of loading depending on your preference. We can arrange to transport your vehicle or drivable or towable cargo from your residence, warehouse or directly from the dealership and deliver it to the port of loading.

If you prefer to deliver your cargo directly to the port of loading, you may do so once we provide you with the proper documentation. However, many ports in the United States require that the person or trucking company delivering the cargo into the port have a TWIC card - Transportation Worker Identification Credential. Terminal which require a TWIC card often have escort services available to escort you into the terminal. However, you do have to pay for the required escort service.

Ro/Ro vessels are built specifically for ocean shipping of rolling cargo. Thousands of vehicles are shipped safely aboard Ro/Ro vessel on a regular basis. However it is always recommended that marine insurance is obtained on any cargo being shipped overseas. Your domestic insurance will not cover loss or damage while your cargo is in transit on the ocean and the liability of all steamship lines is limited to $500.00 per vehicle or container being shipped. All Shore Forwarders can offer you prime cargo insurance from top rated insurers who specialize in marine cargo insurance.